August 13, 2006

waves of thought


despite spending a good number of hours in front of the untalking screen, i realized something today. i am almost computer-illiterate. seriously.

who knew there were so many shortcuts that you could use in Microsoft Word that could have saved me all the time in the world?
no wonder my assignments felt so long to type.
who knew there were other browsers other than internet explorer?
because my pictures stopped loading, i was forced to steal favours from friends just so they could help me upload pictures. i am now a proud user of mozilla, and there have been no problems since.
even then, who knew that you could open multiple tabs under one browser?
thanks kev, for finally enlightening me.
finally, how on earth do you navigate through blog templates?
now you know why i have no links, no personalized deco, no mambo jumbo that i wish i could put into my sidebar. blogging pros, TEACH ME.

idioticity aside, i have learnt so many things in a week.

1. bonds do strengthen through distance. the ocassional daisies sprinkled over the months bring us closer than ever before.

2. i have absolutely no self-discipline. zilch. nothing. food and classes are my greatest failings, ironically. i cant keep my hands (and mouth) off titbits ranging from anything with hints of chocolate to indomie to cream crackers to nutella and peanut butter. i also have an aversion to attending classes. this week's attendance grand total of 0 lectures and 2tutes is just excellent. i may as well inscribe my name on this year's failure list.

3. ViSuaLs make me happy. i have approximately 18 beautiful pictures lighting up my room, and that that's only because i counted the 4 collages as 4. even better is the poster i just bought that says all! "if you want want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." -dolly parton. it's a simple black poster with a rainbow-coloured umbrella right smack in the middle, and droplets of rain mildly splattered around it.*heart* i so feel the connection.

4. just because you stay off alchohol doesnt mean you can lose weight. grrr, i try.

5. im a sports addict. i want to get my hands dirty with rackets, strength and sweat. i need to get over my fear of walls in squash! next week will tell if the badminton sessions at caulfield work out.

6. im not as homesick as before. true, the heartstrings do get tugged every now and then, but they're not as close to the waterducts near my eyes as compared to last semester. it's a worrying relief.

7. last night's hillsong talk on 'getting involved' struck a chord close to home. we all shy away from inconveniences all the time; be it someone's despair, an annoying phonecall, or just being asked to give up an extra hour of the day. being the selfish humans that we are, we avoid at all costs. sometimes all it takes is that tiny extra effort put in that could brighten someone's day.. or perhaps, change someone's life. and ours in return. im gonna try to 'get involved'.

8. i have three meals a day, no matter what time the start. 3pm: wakes up and eats cereal. 530pm: cooks lunch. 9pm: dinner. 12am: titbit supper. amazing isnt it?

9. i want a foolproof 100% success guaranteed plan on killing procrastination! PLEASE.

10. since i've reached this far, this proves how number 9 has completely failed me. here's to trying again.

edit: 17th august, 0214

because i have not managed to gather all the pics we took at kimchi grandma's that night, here's one for you sue hui! beautiful women age with grace. you'll age gracefully, i know =] happy birthday!

ps- i still have your bday card with me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could start by stop talking about how to kill procastination. Also you could not eat chocos by seeing how they can turn you fat(even though you aint and lets hope it keeps that way).If you think your on the failure list, what am i? i didnt go for any lectures this week(hence why i was in the lib to try and do some things right but ended up being a pointless trip) and i left early on every tute.sigh.So cheer up, life aint that bad.

Anonymous said...

omigod. after yrs of playing the internet, only NOW you know we can use multiple tabs???


... melissa the blur living up to her name as always:D

and to link people....:P
Name of friend

:) there u go. anything, u know who to turn to.

p/s: and what sprinkling daisies thingie? i'm intrigued. the iCrapbook is there for a reason u know;P

Anonymous said...

arghh..doesn't show. email me.

jb said...

Hey Melissa,

I can relate to the computer illiteracy and points 2, 8 and 9.

As I told you today, I'm a complete computer dummy...enough said.

Last week I only attended one two-hour mangement lecture, and two tutorials, only beacuse they were compulsory. What I realised was: you actually learn stuff in tutorials! I found them interesting and engaging although lectures were still just management blah, blah...efficiency blah, blah...toyota is number one...this will be on the exam blah, blah, blah...
If only I had done the readings before hand...:(

I also have three meals per day, and my schedule is quite like yours on Wednesday, my day off. Wake up: 12pm; Lunch: 3.30, Dinner 7pm, Supper before bed...

Regarding procrastination: I WANT to have a H1 average this semester onwards and graduate with First Class Honours, but then someone told me I should start a blog...

Let me know when you find a solution :D

liss said...

hello dannyial=] let this be a brand new week of renewed determination to be present for classes!

yay jo is here! i will get help from u, yknow. soon.

jon you're funny. it's good to know someone is pretty much on the same scale too. and i never got to ask you whether 'cans of water' was what it meant?!