July 28, 2007

of love-hate relationships


it is like hitting the replay button, because the mental wars never stop.

i love you. i hate you.
you're delicious. you're worth 100grams of fat for every mouthful i partake.
you are addictive. you are detrimental to my health.
you let me down. and then you surprise me.
the performance is satisfaction-guaranteed. i just wish i didnt have to watch it with you.
you take up too much time. you are also my most rewarding experience.
you mean the world to me. if only you werent just twirling me around your fingers.
you make me happy. i dont even know you.
you can criticize my values and my reasons. just dont impose yours on me.
frustrating is your middle name. endearing is your first.
you unleash the competitive streak in me.
you also pull my muscles, and i cant walk down the stairs tomorrow.
you are horribly delightful, messing with my mind. i think the lights are so pretty.
you give me headaches and clog my throat. you are my most valid excuse.
i dont ever wanna hear from you again. one call lights up my day.

ironically, the same euphoric highs you get are inevitably going to be as pronounced as the psychotic breakdowns. blast the good times, lets get on to the next adventure.

hoping isnt all that bad, as long as you expect the worst.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only figure out about 4 or 5 of what I'm guessing to be different things...I'm left wondering what the rest could be

Anonymous said...

well i think it's pretty much the same thing actually, and for that, a slap on the hand mel!

Luca said...

This begs an important question about happiness. Let's say that you could put happiness on a numerical scale, with ten being the most happy and minus ten being the most miserable.

Say that week 1 looks like this for you:

Mon 1
Tue 1
Wed 1
Thu 1
Fri 1
Sat 1
Sun 1

Total = 7

Week two looks like this:

Mon 10
Tue -10
Wed 10
Thu -10
Fri 10
Sat -10
Sun 7

Total = 7

... which would you prefer?

XXOO,
Luca

liss said...

a slap on the hand? ouch=[

dear luca,
if i had a week like week 1, id be an old soul with no fire, zest and energy for life.

if i had a week like week 2, id be a burned out soul with no fire, zest and energy for life.

so between the two, definitely the latter option with more 'happiness' capacity. interesting comment you have there!

xoxo,
liss

Kenny said...

liss you're too beautiful in your mind and words i find that my simple mind can't really digest your post...

any remedy?

Ben Shyen said...

*Def Leppard's - Love and Hate collide playing in the background*

I personally believe that pain or sadness gives meaning to happiness or joy. You've got to have one to truly appreciate the other.
Just like a pair of socks. (or pantyhose for that matter)

A medical analogy would be if a baby had this rare syndrome that didn't allow her to experience pain, the first thing she'd do is chew her tongue off.

So much for a world without pain. Likewise for a world without hope.
See the best in people and in every circumstance. It's exhausting I know, and it sucks when you're disappointed... but the alternative isn't all that cool either.

liss said...

kenny, im simple, really.
if you cant digest it, im not doing a good job of expressing it then..

and sigh ben, you're so right.
it's both beautiful and disheartening to know that every happy moment is more pronounced because we've been through worse. and hence, we only appreciate the good moments because there were some pretty bad ones.
you said it well.